The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

The Creed

The Creed

Performance poetry

Ms. Sandra Gin
Mr. Sayers’ and Ms. Gin’s students are treated to a spoken word poetry workshop in honour of Arts Week.

On Tuesday, April 16, Journalism 11/12 and Writing 12 students were treated to a workshop by local talents Mo Lawrence and Francis Arevalo–both spoken word poets from the Vancouver-based troupe Wordplay.

As part of Arts Week 2013, this workshop allowed students to learn about the engaging art of performance poetry.  Lawrence and Arevalo kicked off the workshop by reciting their own poems.  Saints students were blown away by their captivating presence and lasting messages.

The boys then had a chance to pen their own poems.  They were taken through several writing exercises and encouraged to read their poems aloud.

Here is quick-write by Roland Huang, grade 10.  Students were asked to think of an object and write a poem about it.  The only catch was that you could not use the word in your poem.  Can you guess the object Roland is writing about?

Fresh outta the store,

This is gonna put me through school for sure.

The smell of new fabric

And smooth leather.

Pick it up, put it on

But drag it on the ground just 2 days later.

Shove it in the lockers,

Mud splatters everywhere.

I never clean it.

2 years later

It’s just a pile of dirty fabric.

– Roland Huang

Journalism 11/12 and Writing 12 wish to thank the Wordplay poets for the workshops given today.  The momentum of Arts Week 2013 is picking up speed and the entire Saints community is looking forward to the rest of this week’s artistic pursuits.