The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

The Creed

The Creed

Saints Book Club #3

Bibliophiles from all grades join to discuss The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store
Ms. Stephanie Chan
A portion of the members of the book club — proudly holding their copies of The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store

On Tuesday, April 30th, the Saints Book Club met for their third and final time this year. Students had chosen to read The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store by James McBride. This novel was selected during Black History Month, and in total, 15 students (from grades 8-12) and four teachers from the English Department read and participated in the book club. 

This novel brings together a rich cast of characters of varying backgrounds and cultures, documenting how they struggle and thrive in a racially and culturally-complex community. They are brought together by the kindness of an American Jew, Chona, and her Heaven & Earth Grocery store. Even though the story documents the hardship, bigotry, and struggle of the 1920s and 30s, it is ultimately a story of hope and the power of human connection. 

The Saints Book Club is open to everyone. We strive to choose books that were published within the last two years. Stay tuned for our first meeting next year! For questions, please email Ms. Sandra Gin [email protected]