The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

The Creed

The Creed

A Wild Night at Saints!

The English and Music Department deliver an inspiring collaboration with “Your Inner Wild”
The Gr. 11 poetry performers alongside the Small Ensemble Bands and the Teacher organizers.

November 23rd was the  “Your Inner Wilds” concert, an exciting evening of literary and musical talents. Poetry and readings of “Where the Wild Things Are” were interspersed with performances by the Senior Jazz Ensemble, conducted by Mr. Rob Murray, and the Wind Ensemble, conducted by Dr. Dean Markel.

The evening was kicked off with a reading from Grade 11 student Benjie Baker, who transported the audience from the auditorium to the untamed wilds of Maurice Sendak’s 1963 children’s book “Where the Wild Things Are”. The music and poetry truly encapsulated an energy of carefree exuberance underlined by a sense of foreboding juvenile angst. 

The event organizers English teachers Ms. Gin, Ms. Woodruff, Mr. Elliot alongside Music teachers Dr. Markel and Mr. Murray. (Liam Hughes)

The engaging hosts, twins Aarav and Ayush Lohia, guided the audience on a journey that mirrored rambunctious young Max’s – the protagonist of Sendak’s novel. 

Kris Yang amazing the audience with his original poem. (Liam Hughes)

The poetry was written and recited by Grade 11 students across the Honours English classes. The

recitations ranged from thought provoking insights into themes like childhood and aging to roaringly humorous tales of mediaeval knights. One highlight was a particularly “wild” rap from Kris Yang who had the entire auditorium chanting along with his chorus: “Woof woof wuh – wuh – wild, turning wuh – wuh – wild”. Ms. Sandra Gin, the Grade 11 Lit Honours teacher who helped plan the event, commented that, “Everyone was very brave for sharing their poetry with the audience”.

Illustrations from Maurice Sendak’s “Where the Wild Things Are” set the tone for the evening. (Liam Hughes)

When the audience wasn’t hearing carefully word smithed stanzas and witty rhymes, they were engaged by the incredibly talented small ensemble bands. 

Toby Mar performing a Trumpet solo. (Liam Hughes)

The Senior Jazz Band shared several pieces, including a notably fun and groovy piece:  “Jungle Boogie”, a funk song by Kool & the Gang released in 1973. Their pieces featured standout solo performances by trumpet players Toby Mar, Arnav Modi, and Daniel Su; trombonists Alan McLachlan, and Eddie Zhou; saxophonists Owen Huang, and Cameron Tsang; Jaykle Chong on the double bass; and Justin Applegarth on the piano. Arnav said that the night was, “A really different experience and very creative in its premise.” Alan added, “My own inner wild emerged in this performance”.

Mr. Murray directing the Sr. Jazz Ensemble. (Liam Hughes)

Across the stage, the Wind Ensemble took the spotlight with a series of dynamic and energising pieces. More reminiscent of a concert band than the Jazz Ensemble, the Wind ensemble featured woodwind, brass, and classic percussion instruments. Their performances included the movingly heartfelt “To Dream in Brushstrokes” by Michael Oare and the heart racing “Wyvern Fire” by Andrew Boysen among others. All of their pieces enthralled the audience and tied together the evening.

Dr. Markel directing the Wind Ensemble (Liam Hughes)
A wild beast welcomed the audience to the show. (Liam Hughes)

The evening ended with a reception in the Great Hall – including snacks and some “wild” punch. There, parents, staff, and students came together to celebrate and congratulate the performances by the poets and bands. The energy was buzzing with a communal sense of excitement for the affirmed literary and artistic potential of our students. Overall, the evening showcased the immense talents that flourish in the corridors by room 225.

#sponsoredbytheopus