The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

The Creed

The Creed

Equations to Elegance: Using Math to Create Art

“Peace in Palms” by Brent Lu

Over Winter Break, Brent Lu ‘25 was awarded the Desmos Global Math Art prize. The annual competition, hosted by the online graphing website, challenges students ages 13–18 with their graphing calculator skills. Using advanced mathematical equations, students are meant to create virtual art. The contest received thousands of entries from over 100 countries. 

“Receiving this recognition was honestly quite surprising,” says Brent. “It was a mix of excitement and disbelief.”

Brent’s winning submission, titled “Peace in Palms,” was selected for the 15–16 age category. In his piece, Brent symbolized global unity and environmental stewardship. “In the palms of the hands lies a map-like pattern symbolizing diversity across the Earth,” he says. “The doves represent peace and the hope for a harmonious coexistence between humanity and nature.”

The project was a part of an assignment in Mr. Rob Lovell’s Pre-Calculus 12 class. Students were challenged to use their knowledge of graphs of functions and relations to turn mathematical concepts into an art piece. Brent has forever appreciated the intersections between math and art, and this award is a testament to his hard work and curiosity in the two subjects.

“Although I’m a bit unsure how I’ll include math into my future, this experience has opened up new perspectives on the possibilities that lie at the intersection of math and creativity.”