The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

The Creed

The Creed

Book Club Meets the Author!

Last Thursday, several students and teachers from the St. George’s Book Club attended Celeste Ng’s talk at the Vancouver Writers Fest. This year, the event was held between October 16-22 in Granville Island. Throughout each of the days, authors and writers spoke to live audiences about their work and about the industry. 

During Ng’s interview that evening, she discussed her newest book, Our Missing Hearts, which the Book Club read last school year. The novel tells the story of a 12-year-old boy named Bird Gardener who lives in an America with a strong sense of nationalism and immense hatred for China; Bird is compelled to untie many knots in an effort to be reunited with his mother.

“Every page served a purpose. The prose was beautiful, and I really felt for Bird,” said Aiden Zhou ’24, one of the first members of the club.

Throughout the talk, which was hosted by Jael Richardson, a Canadian author, Ng touched on her writing process, her sources of inspiration, and elaborated on certain characters and scenes in her book. Afterwards, the floor was open to questions.

At the end of it all, the students and teachers were able to meet Ng for an author signing and photo. It was great experience for everyone who attended!