The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

The Creed

The Creed

Robert Griffin III: will he ever be the same?

Robert Griffin III In His Season Debut

The Washington Redskins have had ten different quarterbacks in as many years. Try as they might, they have never quite been able to land the franchise centerpiece they needed.  Finally, in the 2012 NFL draft, the Redskins used their second overall pick to acquire Robert Griffin III.

He was a popular player with a powerful, accurate right arm and legs that were meant for running. In fact, it’s Griffin’s incredible speed that made him such a standout.  His speed is what allowed him to score an unbelievable seven rushing touchdowns – the average for running backs in the NFL. However, Griffin’s unique playing style also left him vulnerable to crushing tackles and ultimately cost him the health of his right knee. In the final game of Griffin’s rookie season, he pushed his luck too far and, this time, he tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).

Dr. James Andrews, Head Physician of the Washington Redskin’s successfully operated on Griffin’s badly damaged knee on Wednesday January 9, 2013. The repairs were extensive, but Griffin was expected to make a full recovery and be game ready in time for the 2013 season. The question that still remained, however, was whether he would be the same.

Griffin stepped back out onto the field on Monday, September 9, 2013.  It had been nine months since he had played competitive football and the crowd was eager to see what he could do. Everyone expected him to rally his team and lead them in triumph over the Philadelphia Eagles. But, this was not to be. This was not the same Robert Griffin III, winner of the Heisman Trophy and Offensive Rookie of the Year.

By the end of the first half, Griffin had yet to score a single touchdown. He had thrown two interceptions and, to make matters worse, Griffin had been sacked on multiple occasions and his legendary speed seemed to have deserted him. At the start of the second half of the game,  it appeared as though Griffin might have found his legs. He threw together two consecutive touchdown drives and brought the Redskins back into the game. Although victory was elusive for the Redskins, Griffin fought hard to the end. He had thrown 30 for 49 and had a total of 329 passing yards.

In spite of earlier predictions about Griffin’s readiness to return to the field, his most recent performance suggests that he still may have a lot of work ahead of him. Griffin is undoubtedly a committed and driven individual, but his future in the National Football League as an All Star remains uncertain.