The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

The Creed

The Creed

Decade of Dominance Plus Two

We came, we saw, we conquered

RICHMOND – On November the 17th the St. George’s Swim Team captured its 12th consecutive provincial swimming title at the Watermania Pool in Richmond. The victory was the product of the hundreds of hours of hard work that the 23 provincial team members had put into their training.

Under the directions of the coaches Mr. Hersee, Mr. Sayers, and Mr. Chu, and the leadership of the swim team captains, Jaeten Gosal and Brian Tsang, the team managed to maintain their dominance in the sport. During the preliminaries on Friday most swimmers secured a place in the finals with outstanding results. The open category A Team finished the day first in all of their relays while the B category A and B Teams finished first and second in theirs.

The next day in finals, the fierce competitions continued. Many incredible individual and team efforts attributed to our victory. The win was not an easy one, however. Teams such as Lord Byng and Semiahmoo High School also had extremely talented teams and the boys fought hard in order to defeat their rivals. At the end of the day the boys led the field in both individual and relay events. The stellar individual performers included:

– Harry Duan (Grade 9) who won the 100 meters Breaststroke in the open category

– Leo Shen (Grade 11) who finished 2nd in 50 meters Breaststroke in the B category

– Andrew Lai (Grade 11) who placed 2nd in 50 meters Fly in the B category

– Brandon De Costa (Grade 11) who came 3rd in the 100 Backstroke in the open category

Colin Mitchell, an open category swimmer in grade 10 and a great asset to the provincial team said afterwards enthusiastically, “it was a well-earned victory. We worked hard, raced harder, and came out on top!”

“Well, obviously I was exuberant with the win,” claimed Mr. Dustin Hersee, head coach. “It’s our 12th straight year and I’m just happy to see the boys succeed.”

The swimmers enjoyed a rowdy celebration after the award ceremony, throwing the Coaches Mr. Dustin Hersee and Mr. Jeremy Sayers, as well as the captains Jaeten Gosal and Brian Tsang into the pool.