The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

The Creed

The Creed

Drake Unveils “Scary Hours 3”: an honest review

Album cover of For All The Dogs Scary Hours Edition (Scary Hours 3)

Rating: 8/10

DISCLAIMER: This is only a review of the six new songs Drake released in accordance with Scary Hours 3. This is not a review of the whole album, which includes the 23 songs on For all the Dogs.

After the recent release of For all the Dogs, his most recent album, Drake shocked his fans yet again with another release of music. Informally called Scary Hours 3 , this project features six new songs, featuring another appearance of J. Cole. 

Rumoured to have taken Drake only a week to write and produce before its initial release, expectations that Scary Hours 3 was going to become a quality musical project were slim, and fans were even more hesitant to believe it would reach the level of impact of Scary Hours 2, especially with the hit song “Wants and Needs” featuring Lil Baby.

However, Drake surprises us with his lyrical genius with his smooth R&B transitions on “The Shoe Fits” and “Red Button”, and also incorporates melodic highlights, catchy off-beats, and rich transitions on songs like “You Broke My Heart” and “Evil Ways (feat. J. Cole). 

In the track “Red Button,” he makes a notable mention of Taylor Swift, acknowledging her impact on his music release strategy. The lyrics, “Only one could make me drop the album just a little later/Rest of y’all I treat you like you never made it/Leave your label devastated even when you pad the stats period I never hated,” highlight Drake’s respect for Swift and her influence in the music industry. 

A throwback of an old picture of Drake and Taylor Swift posted on Drake’s Instagram (@champagnepapi), showing his deep admiration and bond with the artist.

The genius lies in Drake’s ability to seamlessly blend admiration with competition, recognizing Swift’s impact while subtly revealing the strategic chess moves of the industry. The lines about treating others as if they “never made it” and leaving labels “devastated” showcase Drake’s keen awareness of the competitive landscape and the far-reaching consequences of his success. 

Furthermore, the song delves into Drake’s tumultuous relationship with Kanye West. The lyrics, “Every time that Yeezy call the truce he had my head inflated/Thinking we gon’ finally peace it up and get to levitating/Realized that everything premeditated,” reflect on their on-again, off-again feud, adding a layer of introspection and realness to the album.

In dissecting the on-again, off-again feud with Kanye West, Drake adds a layer of introspection, turning his lyrics into a compelling commentary on the dynamics of fame and rivalry. With each carefully crafted line, Drake proves once again why he stands as a lyrical maestro, navigating the nuances of the music business with unparalleled artistry and insight.

Drake’s penchant for referencing his contemporaries and rivals not only showcases his awareness of the music landscape but also adds a personal touch to his work, making Scary Hours 3 a compelling addition to his discography. Fans and new listeners alike will find the album a testament to Drake’s ongoing evolution as an artist and his ability to stay relevant in a rapidly changing industry.

The specialty of this bonus album is Drake’s ability to delineate many different moods into one package, giving listeners a chance to peek into many different emotions — from hype to melancholy — singing along and sympathizing with Drake’s persistent issues and romantic relationships with women.

Yet, his prevailing desire to continue singing about the same topic is also Drake’s kryptonite. Non-Drake fans can find his rhythm dry and directionless, especially detectable in “Wick Man”, where Drake belittles and gossips about many different people in his life. Lacking an iconic melody, “Wick Man” sticks out as a sore thumb as opposed to his other R&B projects, such as “Polar Opposites”, “Drew a Picasso”, and “8 am in Charlotte”, notable rhythmic and melodic gems in the For all the Dogs album. However, this can change.

Drake fans oftentimes find themselves in a perpetual cycle of hating his more recent projects, then after a few years, growing to like them. This dilemma, which some call the “Drake Effect”, has fans calling his projects “mid” and “repetitive” when first released, but then having a change of heart after a year or two, once the album had marinated within the industry. This is seen in projects such as Certified Lover Boy and Her Loss, where fans have grown to call some songs “Drake Classics”, despite these albums’ criticism during their early months of release. 

Overall, the reaction of most fans has been consistent, praising Drake’s lyrical genius and respecting his persistence in producing quality R&B music in these past two years. In contrast, fans have also been critical of Drake’s repetitiveness in flow and style, but that is subject to change with time. It’s best to take a look at the significance of this album in a few months, where its influence on pop culture has matured.