The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

The Creed

The Creed

“Little Talks” Song Review

Cover for “Little Talks” by Of Monsters and Men

Of Monsters and Men is an Icelandic indie pop band that has found international success just shortly after the group’s initiation in 2010. They were rocketed into the global stage by their immensely popular debut single “Little Talks”. The song is just one of the many masterpieces in their debut album named My Head is an Animal, which was released in 2011. Since then, “Little Talks” has been consistently ranked at the top of many charts around the world, and even managed to rank No.1 on the US alternative chart.

At just over four minutes long, “Little Talks” features duet style vocals between lead singer Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdottír and co-singer Ragnar Pórhallson. This neat feature creates a lively back-and-forth effect for listeners and also sets the song apart from others. The song is also very unique in that it features an accordion and trumpet. The blend of instrumental and vocal music gave the song a rich, full feel. It is also a nice contrast from the mostly electronic music today. Overall, the song is a refreshing piece that definitely grabs attention.

The mood in “Little Talks” initially seems happy and lighthearted but after closer analysis of the lyrics, the song actually conveys a something a little sadder. The chorus featuring the trumpet and accordion adds a lively touch, almost sounding like a playful alarm tune. The key of D flat Major helps bring out the bright yet reflective nature of the piece. In my opinion, this song is lively and lyrical yet not overpowering; like a fast flowing stream though not a grand waterfall.

Of Monsters and Men did a fantastic job on “Little Talks” and it deserves all the recognition that it has got. I personally loved it, and I give it a rating of 4.5/5.