The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

The Creed

The Creed

Afternoon at La Tana

Interior+of+the+Restaurant+
Interior of the Restaurant

Taste 8/10

Presentation 4/5 : 

Uniqueness: 4/5: 

(vibe and ambiance)

Service 3/4: 

Variance 4/5: 

(types of food served)

Located on Commercial Drive in Vancouver, Caffé La Tana is much more than a restaurant. It embodies the essence of hospitality within its intimate setting, serving as a relaxed lunch spot and marketplace by day before transforming into an elegant fine dining experience at night. Do not be deceived by its unassuming exterior. As you push open those vintage doors, you enter a realm brimming with the inviting aromas of fresh pasta and lively conversations, all set against a backdrop of authentic Italian ambiance. Inside, walls are filled with artwork, ambient lighting — and of course — many shelves filled with culinary goods and ingredients. A large bar table directs your eyes to the pasta maker carefully preparing the fresh ingredients right in front of you.

Walking into the restaurant, we were instantly greeted by one of the friendly staff members and directed to our table. They offered an array of drinks and beverage choices including a comprehensive espresso and coffee menu as well as a choice between regular and sparkling water. 

I chose to try out their sparkling water, which was included with the price of our lunch package through Dine Out Vancouver. Disappointedly, the sparkling water lacked proper carbonation and also had a sweeter taste. than the stronger, more acidic San Pellegrino sparkling water. 

Bread with Balsamic Vinegar

Captured in this image features a plate of house bread accompanied by a small bowl of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The bread is presented in thick, fluffy squares with a golden-brown crust that hints at a perfect bake, suggesting a texture that is soft on the inside with a satisfyingly crisp exterior.

The olive oil glistens with a promise of smoothness, while the dark sheen of the balsamic vinegar promises a rich depth of flavour. This combination is poised to entice the palate, marrying the warm, comforting aroma of freshly baked bread with the complex, fruity notes of the olive oil and the sweet, tangy essence of the balsamic. As a person who tends to dislike the acidity of vinegar, this dish thoroughly surprised me. 

The next dish was the Stracciatella. The soup’s surface is dotted with a drizzle of olive oil, which introduces a subtle hint of sweetness that complements the savoury flavours. Floating within the broth are wisps of egg and cheese, the latter adding a unique twist to the dish. This cheese doesn’t overpower but rather enhances the soup with an intriguing depth of flavour, contributing to the overall experience of the dish. Although the presentation of the Stracciatella is straightforward—without any flamboyant garnishing or artful plating—it carries an understated elegance. The soup’s simplicity aligns with its taste—satisfying and familiar, without being overly adventurous or bold. It’s a fine dish that confidently stands on the quality of its ingredients and the comforting warmth it promises to deliver with each spoonful.

The third and main dish I chose was the truffle ravioli, which was also the pasta of the day. Although the portion size is smaller compared to the other pasta dishes, don’t let its appearance fool you. The ravioli parcels are generously sized, promising a fulfilling experience, and they are adorned with shavings of truffle that add an earthy elegance. The blend of truffle within the dish is expertly balanced, ensuring that its distinct, aromatic character enhances rather than overwhelms the pasta. Each bite invites a burst of aromas, the kind that only truffles can provide, mingling with the subtle flavors of the filling to create a symphony of taste. The dish’s presentation is unpretentious, focusing on the natural appeal of its ingredients. There’s a rustic authenticity to the way the ravioli is laid out, with the truffle shavings strategically placed to entice the senses. While the visual appeal is modest, it speaks to a confidence in the ingredients’ inherent allure. 

The mousse dessert is topped with a sprinkle of nuts, providing a contrasting texture to the smoothness below. This chocolate mousse encapsulates a delightful paradox—it feels light and airy in texture, yet each spoonful carries the rich, decadent weight of premium chocolate. Its sweetness is measured, crafted to please the palate without overwhelming it with sugar.

After indulging in the preceding courses, this mousse offers a luxurious end to the meal. However, the heavy cream and dairy elements, which contribute to its luscious consistency, may pose a challenge for some to fully enjoy in the aftermath of such a rich feast. Nevertheless, for those who have saved just enough room, this chocolate mousse is a creamy, dreamy confection sure to satisfy the sweet tooth.