The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

The Creed

The Creed

Busy first week concludes with opening assembly

Headmaster Dr. Tom Matthews addresses the St. Georges Senior School during Fridays assembly
Ms. Catriana Van Rijn
Headmaster Dr. Tom Matthews addresses the St. George’s Senior School during Friday’s assembly

On Friday, September 6, the St. George’s Senior School started the 2013-2014 academic year with the annual opening assembly. Headmaster Dr. Tom Matthews and School Captain Matthew Boroditsky both delivered opening speeches, new staff and faculty members were introduced, and prefects for the 2013-2014 school year were announced.

Staff and faculty were gowned for this assembly and all the students rose to their feet as they entered. Everyone remained standing after the staff had entered for the singing of the national anthem “O’ Canada.”

After all were seated, Headmaster Matthews addressed the senior school with a few opening remarks. “I hope you all had a great summer, the opportunity to relax with friends and family, I know I most certainly did. But now that the holiday’s are over and the new school year is upon us, it is important to get back into our normal routines. Nonetheless I wish all of you the best of luck in the 2013-2014 academic year.

Then, Senior School principal Mr. Shawn Lawrence approached the podium and introduced new faculty and staff members who where joining the school for their first year at Saints. Next, Mr. Pat Palmer, Head of Grade Twelve, familiarized the community with this year’s prefects. He presented them with Headmaster leadership awards and prefect ties. The prefects were then introduced, beginning with Head Boy Matthew Boroditsky. The two Deputy Head Boys, Alistair Pitts and Parker Nann, followed him. Jackson Au was chosen to be this year’s Captain of Boarding and Tony Li will be Vice-Captain of Boarding. Palmer McCutcheon was named Chair of Graduation, Brett Dowling was announced as Captain of Service Learning and Marc Levin was selected to be Captain of Sports.

Finally the stage was set for this year’s school captain Matthew Boroditsky to give his opening speech. Boroditsky continued the tradition of giving each grade advice for the anticipated year. The theme of his speech was that Saints is a journey and how each grade will have obstacles thrown in front of them on their path to the final destination.