The Student Voice of St. George's School

The Creed

The Creed

The Creed

Music, Movies, and Masterpieces!

Arts Week 2024
Saints BC
Michael Abraham working with visual arts students

Every year in April is Saint’s highly anticipated Arts Week. It’s a time to showcase, recognize, and honour the vibrant artistic life within our school community. This year from Monday April 15th to Friday April 19th, students were treated to a variety of guest speakers, activities, and events to celebrate everything to do with arts. 

Paxton Downard giving a presentation on prop work

Day 1

Poliang Chen running a calligraphy workshop

Each day of the week, the whole school congregated in the gym for a new guest speaker, and kicking off the week was Paxton Downard, a props master for film and television. Paxton showcased several props he’s made for productions and explained his process from design to building to managing props on a set. Certainly a unique line of work, Paxton highlighted the many possible artistic pathways available in the dynamic film industry. During lunch, the Great Hall echoed with classical music as the Community Music Club put on a special charity performance. In the art room, special guest Poliang Chen, a Chinese Calligrapher, ran calligraphy workshops for keen students and staff!

Day 2

Clive Tucker working with ceramics students

On Tuesday, the school welcomed local actor Curtis Lum who spoke about his time in the film industry, the power of visualising, and his history of entertaining and hustling. Later in the day Micheal Abraham, a local artist joined the 2d art class to work on model sketching. In the ceramics lab Clive Tucker, a local ceramicist, gave an engaging presentation to the interested ceramicists. During lunch grade eights ran a beat making workshop for their peers that resulted in some creative sounds! Tuesday evening featured the first event of the week, the long-time coming revitalised Rain City Reels! This year the annual film festival soared to new heights with a renewed budget and meticulous organisation. Check out some highlights here: Raincity Reels!

Rain City Reels Balloonist Ashwin Steinson with his work

Day 3

Henry Jagger and Jason Lee at Saintschella (Arnav Modi)

Wednesday welcomed the final guest speaker, Bruce Alcock, an animator and filmmaker who showcased his work. Micheal Abraham and Clive Tucker returned for more workshops and a selection of films from rain city reels were played by those who missed out on raincity reels. Saintschella, the rebranded Contemporary Music Night, returned for a second year and featured some remarkable performances by passionate students across Saints, Crofton, and York which ranged from toe tapping jazz pieces, to classical compositions, to rock music sing-alongs!

Socializing at Saintschella (Arnav Modi)
Rain Li performing at Saintschella (Arnav Modi)

Day 4

Thursday marked one of the most important events for arts in the

Justin Applegarth accompanying the Riggs Scholars

whole year, the Rigg assembly. A highly formal ceremony held in the auditorium, the current Rigg scholars are recognized with performances including a dramatic scene by the drama riggs, a light show from the theatre production riggs, and flute, marimba, and saxophone performances from the music riggs. Additionally, the Grade 12 Honourary Riggs, and incoming Grade 11 Riggs were awarded their ties, pins, and certificates. The ceremony was followed by the Rigg Luncheon, which Honourary Music Rigg Arnav Modi called: “a stupendous meal I’ve looked forward to all year!” Meanwhile, the gym was transformed into a circus as the Grade 8s, 9s, and 10s enjoyed a spectacular performance from Circus West! More details about the Rigg ceremony can be found here: Rigg Ceremony Article

Day 5

Saintschella final Assembly

With Arts week coming to a close, the school filled the gym for a final assembly run by the Arts Portfolio,

a culmination of the arts week festivities! A selection of Saintschella acts were performed again for the whole school, and some highlights included Charles Weston’s rocking rendition of Mary on a Cross and Brian Deng’s crowd-pleasing pop and lock dance! There were also live portraits of Ms. LeBlanc and Ms. Pavi made by James Askew and Austin Liu, and a competitive game of musical chairs between the Head of Grades in which Mr. Klassen emerged victorious.

Ronnie Li doing portrait drawing

As students returned to their regular daily schedules, the energy of the week lingered with memories made and inspiration sparked. Arts Week 2024 truly showcased the endless possibilities of creativity, collaboration, and artistic expression at Saints. 

Upcoming Rigg Scholar Austin Liu’s portfolio